The Adult Education Academy offers a wide range of services to prepare students for their GED / High School Equivalency, leading to employment and post-secondary education / training. Our program promotes a positive learning environment and offers day and evening classes. The teachers recognize each individual’s goals, learning style, and experience. Students also receive case management services, empowering them to succeed in school and work.
GED / Adult Basic Education (ABE) Skills preparation
- Career counseling and exploration including work readiness components
- Academic course work including reading, writing, math and computer literacy for employment and training
- Administer ACCUPLACER (A college entrance exam)
- Intensive case management
- SNAP Education & Training
- Project Opportunity program
SNAP E & T
- Work Readiness Component Description:
- Explore/Develop Employability skills
- Career Exploration
- Developing Good Work Habits
- Financial Literacy
- Create Social Media branding
- Skills – Critical Thinking/Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Professionalism, Conflict Resolution
- Job Search Training Component Description:
- Develop Job Search Portfolio
- Understanding the Recruiting Side of the Process
- Gain Skills to Keep you Motivated and Proactive
- Enlist Social Support/Networking
- Set Your Job Search Goals
- Skills – Resume, Cover Letter, Job Search, Interviewing Skills
Rhode Island Works is a financial and employment assistance program for parents and families with little to no income who have children high school age or younger. It gives individualized and family supportive services, job readiness, preparation and placement, employment or vocational training and retention services. Recipients can also receive childcare, transportation and educational services towards the goal of improved long-term stabilization. Kinship guardians (i.e. a grandparent raising their grandchildren) can also apply for RI Works to support the children that they are legally responsible for. *Participants are referred through DHS.
- RIWorks participants enrolled in adult education program
- Students referred from DHS
Westbay Adult Education Academy carefully screens potential students. In order to qualify, each student must attend an information session, test for educational level, and meet with a Westbay case manager. Call 401-468-4064 to begin the process.
A valid photo ID is required to take the GED test.